Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   1 point
    What do you use if substituting for palm oil? I want to keep it vegan. Any ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013
      1 point
    The basic recipe they use a lot on the sage blog uses soybean so you could check that one outbto seebwhat else they use with it. I don't think it has palm. I think you would need to be careful using soybean bcse it makes a pretty soft soap if used in high percentages.
    Lovin soap.com posted a series awhile back on making palm free soaps and shared several recipes. Also the Soap Queen blog has had some. I think a lot of them are based on a high percentage off olive oil but I'm not sure.
  2.   0 points
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013
      2 points
    I have made vegan soap without palm. My oils are soybean, olive and coconut with a little something special like sweet almond or Shea butter, at the ratio 35:35:25:5. Cures pretty hard and lathers nicely.
  3.   0 points
    Thank you Chrima. I just got some soybean oil and will experiment with it.
    • CommentAuthorLyndah
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
      0 points
    I have seen shea used instead of palm - as in olive oil, coconut and shea. I'm trying it today with some other oils I've been wanting to use before the new shipment arrives!
  4.   0 points
    Using soy is not a sub for palm. Soy is a soft oil and palm is a hard one. You need a hard oil or combination of them to replace the palm. Shea is not a hard oil either, but cocoa butter is. You can up your olive oil (which starts as a soft but ends up being hard) or add babassu or coconut. I don't know what you are already using in your recipe, but generally speaking you want to keep the coconut at/under 25%. The main thing is that you run any new recipe/change in recipe through a lye calculator. Play with the soap calc and you will see what the various percentages of oils does to your recipe.
    You do not need palm to have a good soap. I have never used palm or palm kernel oil (in 35 yrs), and have never missed using them. I also don't use lard, but you could and that would also make a hard bar.
    Much luck!
    • CommentAuthorLyndah
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
      0 points
    Shea is not a direct substitute for olive oil, but can be used instead of it even though it is soft. Just make sure as Lavender Lady said, to use other hard oils and run it through the soapcalc. The only soaps I've made until today have used palm except for my 100% olive oil. Also, I know a soaper who uses coconut, olive, shea and almond and has a great bar. I'm going to try that my next soaping session. We've been making soap now for three years and most of our bars include 30% coconut. The main thing is be sure and run your formula through the soapcalc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013
      0 points
    I did not mean for it to sound like i am substituting the palm for soy. I simply leave the palm oil out. You can make perfectly fine soap without it. My recipe happens to work well, but especially when you use animal fats like lard or tallow, palm isn't necessary.